Yesterday was pretty busy int he isolation tank. It doesn’t sound like much but having 3 participants come in for an hour or more each adds up since each session takes preparation and conclusion time. I have a lot of video editing to do in order to assemble the interviews into something and finish the work of the residency but except for that, all of the project information can be found here: http://justintylertate.weebly.com/sensdep.html
It was great being on residency at Anatum’s for 2 weeks.
Justin Tyler Tate with the isolation tank installation at Anatum’s.
Yesterday was the first day of public sessions in the Isolation Tank. Three individuals had immersive and unique experiences in the tank for time periods of 35 minutes up to 1 hour and emerged from the tank with states of mind ranging between excitement and horror.
Go spelunking inside yourself in the isolation tank.
Yesterday I got the isolation tank working and tried it out for myself.
In it, after I loose myself, I start to see moving lights…rather they’re a representation of lights since actually there is no light present in the tank. The lights come and go, like simple animations. My own breathing is the most dominant sound.
I’ll post more regular updates on the project here: https://www.facebook.com/JustinTylerTate
Yesterday was spent working out heating methods for the Isolation Tank water. I tried electrical and also a wood burning stove that I’ve put together while being here. both worked to a certain degree but not as much as I would like. It could be because I started with cold water in both situations and the water did begin to warm but it was very slow and on such a large portion of water, as in the isolation tank I’m not sure they’ll be effective. Today I have to make it work and test it out though.
Tomorrow will be the first day of participants to use the tank.
Using a hacked clothes iron to heat an aluminium pipe with the hopes of creating convection and warming water through the pipe.
Yesterday was spent preparing a wood-burning stove which ideally will serve as a heater for the isolation tank. I tried testing it outside, I needed to burn of the paint on the gas cylinder also, but the fire got so hot that I ended up melting my plumbing. Oh well, I’ll try again today…
Yesterday was mostly spent insulating and trying to black out the isolation tank, which required a lot of running around Anatum’s measuring things and running back and moving black plastic around.
I also did some documentation for Error Collective. My fellow Errorists sometimes have problems with documenting things in a non-blurry way. Here’s a link to the images, I suppose I’ll put them on the Error website soon too.
The drawing shows the ultimate goal of the residency, It should be done in a week. I need a chimney pipe and construction foam for insulation…or to find alternatives. Yesterday I was experimenting with a test deprivation tent. I was listing to Isochronic Tones to block out any street noises coming through the fabric. After a bit of time in the darkness I started to see the sound as patterns resembling something like light and at some point I just fell asleep. I will try again later.
Frame layered with sheets to block light and nullify sound.
Hey y’all. My name’s Justin Tyler Tate and yesterday was my first day in residency at Anatum’s. If you want to see what my previous work looks like you can check it out here and/or here. At Anatum’s my plan … Continue reading →